Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Grand Prix minus the booze?

Last Thursday, with just over a week to go the Bahrain Grand Prix and the largest influx of tourists all year, all 1 and 2 star hotels in the kingdom were served with an edict banning them from selling alcohol and from providing live entertainment. 

The ban took effect last Friday. Yep, the hotels were given precisely 24 hours notice of a decision which has effectively crippled their businesses. So much for Bahrain having the friendliest business environment in the Gulf!

Rumour has it that 3 star establishments are next in line. Rumour also has it that our neighbour across the causeway may be influencing these decisions as a quid pro quo for helping in the current economic crisis. 


Hopefully this influence won't also extend to dress code. Much as I sometimes envy the locals their attire when I'm having a bad hair day, I don't think I could ever get used to the abaya. Or is black my colour - what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment