The rain started again on Sunday night and lashed down in almost Biblical proportions for 2 days and nights. Here is our street on Tuesday morning.
My friend, Anne, had to give her kids fireman's lifts across the deluge to get out of her house. Luckily she's a northern Irish lass and comes equipped with wellies and waterproofs - things which are nigh on impossible to find in Bahrain when needs must. I know; I tried.
And, of course, most Bahrainis aren't good at driving in rain. Motorways became lethal as locals adopted even more dangerous driving habits than normal, vacillating between racing madly with no headlights and scant regard for deep surface water and dropping to almost snail's pace with hazards flashing causing pile-ups from behind. There have been more than 500 reported road accidents in the last three days and traffic authorities have had to recall staff from holidays to handle the chaos.
Still, the constant downpour and accompanying mud and dirt all over (and inside) the car (and house), the frizzy hair, the running mascara and damp clothes have all made me feel quite at home again!
Rain can be quite fun - especially when it is a rariety. but there is loads of the stuff (actually sleet if I am being honest) here at the moment and the mud and general dank cold dampness of it all is not much fun at all.
ReplyDeleteObviously the boys and the dog love it.
Ah yes, the frizzy hair. Went out looking half decent this morning. Came home with Shirley Temple ringlets. Fine on a 3 yo, not on someone my age trying to impress in new job.
ReplyDeleteLCM x
Hi Kate, I lived in Bahrain in the late 80s. I still remember the chaos that a deluge brought. The traffic lights used to fuse and with so many of the guys changing cars every few months, they rarely knew where the windscreen wipers were. Found you through Brit in Bosnia and I'll be back to see how much things have changed (or not) since I was there.
ReplyDeleteWhat a deluge. Sydneysiders are the same in the rain. They drive like maniacs. I hope things have dried off by now!
ReplyDelete