Sunday, 9 May 2010

All in a good cause - possibly

About a year ago, two employees of Ian's company were shot dead while working in Afganistan. Last weekend, the company organised a fund-raising rugby match at the Bahrain Rugby Club in their memory.

Now rugby is Ian's sport. He loves it and watches whenever he can. It doesn't seem to matter who is playing and in which league or competition or indeed which code - union or league, both will do. The only reason we pay a flogging fortune for a gazillion satellite channels of utter rubbish is so he can savour the two sports channels which show the rugby.

Many years ago he used to play too, starting off as a flanker when a young lad and progressing to hooker as the years and kilos took their toll. He last played about 15 years ago; a memorable match in which he dislocated his shoulder.

So it was with some trepidation that he signed up for the charity match squad, but peer pressure is a powerful thing and I have to admit I too was keen for him to have a go and enjoy a game again. I dutifully sourced boots and a mouthguard and was to be found in the stands among the keen rugby groupies last Thursday night.

He spent the first half on the bench, running through tactics and limbering up for his second half guest appearance. As the half time whistle blew, I was gasping for a drink. I trotted off to get two wines for my friend and me and upon returning discovered the second half was already in progress.

"Ian's on - quick!" yelled my friend. Sloshing wine as I went, I hotfooted it back to my seat and frantically surveyed the pitch for my rugby hero. Where was he?

"He's not the guy on the ground, is he?" I asked her nervously. We both peered. Yup, it was definitely him. Out cold.

"What happened?" I demanded.

"I've no idea, I wasn't watching," she admitted. Well, that made two of us.

The medic came on and he was hauled off the pitch by two of his team mates. I rushed to his side (as a good wife should).

"He was tackled from behind, knocked out and then had his head rammed into the ground by four guys jumping on top of him," summarised the medic. "Oh, and he's concussed. Listen!" she continued and to prove her diagnosis asked him, "What's your name, love?"

One of Ian's Indian colleagues, who was clearly baffled by why anyone would want to partake in such a dangerous sport and was very concerned for his boss's wellbeing yelled, "Ian! His name's Ian!"

Once said colleague had been muffled, the questions continued. We discovered Ian didn't know what had happened, had no idea what day it was and was showing alarming concern for the whereabouts of his mouthguard. I timed it: he asked for his mouthguard five times in as many minutes and there was no calming him. If only he would show such concern for me now and again.

So it was off to hospital for us and off to the bar for his team mates. As these things are in a rugby club bar, the accident was relived, analysed and exaggerated beyond belief. Ian is now a DHL rugby legend. But he's never being allowed to set foot on the pitch again.

6 comments:

  1. Priceless - glad he is ok though. Reminds me of OH's new rugby coaches' session last year where all the dads took to the field for a 'fun' game of tag rugby and there were - ahem - nineteen injuries by the end of it.
    Fortunately not OH, even though he did take a knock but in a bizarre twist of fate it sorted his back out.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was rather a dramatic appearance on the pitch! There's no doubt he'll be remembered! Pleased that he is all fine and no lasting damage. Sport is a dangerous thing - always be a spectator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LCM - oh no, I was going to suggest tag rugby as a less dangerous alternative! Don't think I'll bother now.

    Victoria - thanks. The scars are healing and the bumps on his head diminishing. It certainly gave me a scare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope he's feeling better. Best to finish your rugby career in a blaze of glory - shame you were quaffing wine at the time... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad he is OK. That would have been scary. Rugby is a great game but it is also a rough game. I have seen some shocking injuries.

    So sorry to hear about the employees who were killed. That is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PWN - what do we call YOU now? I can't call you Pants!! He's fine now and I think quaffing wine was best. Not sure I'd have liked to actually SEE him go down!

    Selma - rugby is indeed dangerous, although my friend's husband slipped 2 disks throwing a cricket ball to his son, so maybe it's also an age thing! The shooting was terrible - in the office car park. We were all shocked at the time.

    ReplyDelete