Later I went to the Seef area to renew my car insurance; this is Bahrain and it can't be done on the phone. I had to go the back way as the main road was blocked by protesters. On arriving at the Solidarity insurance offices on the 11th floor of the Seef office block I was greeted by an open-mouthed Bahraini in thobe and ghutrah.
"What are you doing here?" he asked. "We're closed - none of my staff could get in."
"I'm here to renew my car insurance," I replied. "With everything going on, it seems negligent to let it lapse. You're here. Can't you do it?"
There were about three others in the office and I became the source of much amusement: expat English woman struggles against all odds to renew Solidarity insurance.
"We're going to use you in our next advertising campaign," chuckles one.
I'm about to leave when we hear the roar of sirens and look out to see about 20 police vans screech onto the highway below to block a band of about 200 protesters who are rushing towards them. Tear gas is fired; sound bombs explode.
"Tea?" asks the man in the thobe.
After about half an hour, the police pushed back the protesters and I left to pick up the kids from school. We reached home without incident.
School is closed today. British Embassy advice is to stay indoors. I had no food in the house so went to the local supermarket this morning and it was packed. Milk, butter and potatoes were in short supply. Clearly deliveries had been affected and people were bulk buying. Some expats are leaving; others, like my Northern Irish friend, seem totally unaffected. "I was reared during the Troubles," says she. "It'll take more than a few protesters to frighten me."
As I write I am receiving reports that the Bahrain/Saudi causeway has been temporarily closed to allow a security force convoy across the water: the Bahrain government has asked for Saudi help in containing the protests.
The protesters have vowed not to give up until they have full democracy and a new government. But a large proportion of the population here supports the King and his ministers. So we watch and we wait.
And at least my car is insured.
That's a true British spirit you're showing!
ReplyDeleteWill keep an ear to the news and fingers crossed things will be ok for you.
Your Northern Irish friend sounds very irresponsible.
ReplyDeleteI know I'm only an old landlubber and the most unphileas of Foggs, but I'd be happier if you weren't there!
ReplyDeleteThings seem to be getting worse, from what I've heard today. Are you staying?
ReplyDeleteKatie, the Pineapple Tart sounds wise.
ReplyDeleteYou will know better than anyone here in the UK, but it looks from here like it could turn into a nasty and lengthy stand-off, given escalating Saudi involvement and US rhetoric. There's too much to lose.
Britain begins with a 'B', Spring is coming, and it's not so bad! In your shoes, I'd probably think it was time for a swift exit...
Katy, the Pineapple Tart sounds wise and I hope you and your family are coping OK.
ReplyDeleteI can only observe via western media, but the regional momentum is bigger than a few protestors in Bahrain and it looks from here as though you could be in for a long and nasty stand-off. There is too much at stake in Saudi.
Perhaps it's time for a swift exit, at least until the dust settles (no pun intended!)...? Remember, Britain begins with 'B'...!
Dear All, the girls and I are now in the UK - see latest post. Thanks to everyone for your concern; it has been an exciting week.
ReplyDelete