It's difficult to comprehend how hot this really feels unless you are here - a bit like not being able to appreciate the speed of Andy Roddick's serve unless you had a seat on centre court.
To give you some idea, my June mornings went something like this:
4am - wake up sweltering despite the aircon and with the sun streaming through the gaps in the blackout curtains. Try to go back to sleep.
4.30am - Just nodding off again, when the Mullah has other ideas. I know the call to prayer is supposed to be a peaceful refrain but at that time of the morning it's just not.
5.00am - Garbage truck arrives loudly just outside bedroom window.
5.30am - Give up on sleep. Turn on shower to wait for water to run cold.
5.35am - Give up on cold water and take hot shower under cold tap.
6.30am - Collect paper from garden. Plastic wrapper is practically melting in the heat. Breakfast then do teeth in hot water - YUK!
7.45 am - Drop girls at school. Open door to car and walk into what can only be described as the feeling of a large industrial hairdryer on the highest heat setting blowing sand in your face.
8.00am - Get back to car which is now an ambient 48C. Sweat. Sweat some more.
8.30am - Back home. Take another warm shower under the cold tap and dream of snow.
Wish you were here?
In a word, no; I struggle with an English summer! Love the photos of the girls in their end of term play costumes. Takes me right back to the Bytham Players! Looking forward to seeing you soon, I hope :-) Hilary
ReplyDeleteHi Hilary, As I write I am looking at a photo of "Mother Goose" which Mum gave me last time she was here. I'm wearing some sort of Heidi get-up and Vicky was the goose. Can't spot you, but I'm sure you're there somewhere!
ReplyDelete