
Yesterday was my birthday. 42 years old. 42.
I can't believe I'm 42!
That's only 8 more years to the Big 5-0 and only 18 more years to my pension.
How depressing!
I've been going all out this week to stem the tide of middle age and am now sporting a new haircut (shorter, bouncier and - hopefully- more youthful) and extremely white teeth (birthday bleaching to get rid of decades of caffeine and red wine abuse).
But, even if I've become a bit of a bah-humbug about these things, at least the girls still enjoy the occasion. Olivia came bounding in yesterday morning clutching a swathe of homemade gifts and a card with 42 hugs and kisses because, as she gaily informed me: "You're 42 today, Mummy!" "Yes, darling, so I am" I replied, smiling weakly.
I unwrapped my next present: a short, sexy nightdress from a girlfriend with great legs and still-pert breasts. Another bout of depression. My chicken legs and sagging knees will not do it justice.
Then Isabelle comes to the rescue in the way daughters should. "Wow, Mummy!" she said. "That's lovely. See, someone other than Livvy and me thinks you're still beautiful!"
Love the comments, "from the mouths of babes..."
ReplyDeleteAnd happy b'day! At least you are younger than me (just).
LCM x
Happy Birthday! I think I need a daughter in my life. The 2 boys are never going to come to my rescue.
ReplyDeleteLCM and FM - Thanks for the birthday wishes!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! The Swiss defy age by dying their hair red. But only the front half...
ReplyDeleteHope you had a wonderful birthday. Sorry I'm so late in wishing you well. Your girls are just gorgeous. I am sure you still look great. Enjoy your nightie!
ReplyDeleteChantal - Interesting technique. Of course I could always succumb to the burqa and then no-one need be any the wiser as to my age.
ReplyDeleteSelma - It was great, thanks. And no, the nightie didn't look too bad after all.