Monday, 22 February 2010

Urban Oasis

Most houses in Bahrain are surrounded by high concrete walls; not for security (there are few break-ins) but for privacy. After all, if you're not supposed to wander the streets uncovered, the last thing the locals want is for everyone in the neighbourhood to be able to peer at the women in their family over the garden gate.
And while it is useful at times to be totally secluded, after two years of living behind these walls, I began to feel a little, well, hemmed-in.

So last week we moved to a compound just round the corner. Normally I wouldn't be one for compound living, but this place is different. It's still in the centre of town, the houses are older and, in estate agent-speak, ooze colonial charm and best of all, they have large, mature gardens. I've had my name down for months and someone finally left.

Yes, I know. A voluntary house move - madness. And this week I've been knee, no, waist-deep in boxes, dealing with unreliable phone/internet/gas and electricity companies and wondering why I have put myself through moving hell yet again. Nine times in fifteen years, no less.

But then I walk outside and see this, which I think you will agree is infinitely better than my old view of sand-coloured concrete.




I can't tell you how uplifting it is to look out onto trees and flowers every day. The grass seed is being delivered tomorrow and with the help of my new gardener, Joy from Kerala, I am well on the way to creating my very own urban oasis in the heart of Manama.

9 comments:

  1. Oh it looks amazing. I envy you a cool drink on the veranda of an evening. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it looks lovely, wow! Must be good to get out of those walls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Looks like you made the perfect move. How lovely to have sit out there under a little shade and sip some cool drinks. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone - it is just perfect. And the weather is glorious at the moment so spending as much time as possible outside before the hellish summer heat sets in. And to Heather and Victoria, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful. There is nothing like a garden to lift the spirits. I would also find it difficult to live behind walls. Look forward to hearing how your urban oasis develops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. It looks beautiful. Can't wait for some of that bright pink in my garden when spring finally arrives in the UK. Hope you are happy in your new home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selma - will keep you posted. I'll add more photos as spring goes on.

    Natural Mummy - thanks for stopping by! And I am very happy in my new home. It's like being on holiday every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this place looks really nice - like out of an architectural book nice - and you gotta have plants, flowers and openess - that makes such a differnce. I just thought of you because an old friend of mine who is a comedian is performing in Bahrain: MAZ JOBRANI LIVE IN BAHRAIN Thursday, April 8 from 6:00 pm to 11:20 pm. He sells out fast usually but he's REALLY funny so if you get a chance you should try and go and tell him Celeste sent you if you see him. Wish I could go see him there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for letting me know, Celeste. Will look out for him.

    ReplyDelete