Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Vroom vroom

Kangaroos were spotted in the Bahrain desert last weekend and the locals loved them. The giant roos were fully kitted out with springs in their feet and Biggles helmets and goggles and were part of the entertainment at the Gulf Air Desert 400 V8 Supercars series.


This bloke was hanging round with his bird.


And these fellows were playing their latest tunes.



The girls each had henna tattoos on their arms. It's amazing to watch how quickly and skillfully the local ladies draw such incredibly intricate patterns.


Oh, and there were a few car races, of course. Petrol-head Aussie hubbie was in his element, but wishing, I think, for a son to enjoy it with rather than these two glum faces.


Some bloke called Jamie won every race. I was backing the car with the best name: Fair Dinkum. It came nearly last in each race before catching alight in the final laps of the last race and retiring. The car was a pretty colour though (before the fire, obviously).


And as if we haven't had enough motorsport this month, it's the Grand Prix on Sunday. Can life get any more exciting?

7 comments:

  1. I think I will put your hubby in touch with my Other Half who would be up for this, or even my brother who is probably the most car-obsessed petrol head I know of and has been since he could talk. Guess what his first word was?

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The men in my life are all starting to go a bit Grand Prix mad as the season looms... we live in a town with an F1 team based in it so it is everywhere at the moment. There is even an F1 magazine in my downstairs loo.

    I have tagged you in a meme over at my blog today. Hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, its all happening there isn't it.
    Love the henna tattoos. I would love my hands and feet henna'd in the summer - looks so pretty.
    Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. Yes, Ikea is good for some many things, I always find something to buy and not just meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi -have discovered your blog via British Mummy Bloggers. It's so fascinating. I very much enjoy living about life in the Middle East, as I have a lot to do with it from work - haven't got to Bahrain yet though! My kids loved the kangaroos (although they thought they were rabbits)

    I hope you don't mind, but I have also tagged you for a photo meme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son and hubby would have loved the cars. Those tattoos are amazing. A friend of mine who is Indian has had them done but I didn't realise they do them in Bahrain as well.

    The falcon is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And amidst the motorcar distraction, there is a tag for you over at mine.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  7. LCM - thanks for the tag, and I'm guessing your brother's first word wasn't "Mama"!

    Natural Mummy - there is advertising everywhere here too and even a special F1 passport holders queue at the airport. With an extra 100,000 people expected on what is already a small island, most of us can't wait til it's all over.

    Victoria - nearest Ikea is Saudi and we're not allowed to go - so frustrating.

    Julie - thanks so much for visiting and I'm so glad you like the blog. Most people think of the Gulf as Dubai, Dubai and Dubai, so it's nice to be able to write something about Bahrain.

    Selma - Henna is huge in Bahrain and it is truly fascinating to watch the speed at which they do it. And yes, the falcon was magnificent.

    LCM - thanks for the tag. Will get onto it.

    ReplyDelete