
We were invited to dinner last weekend, at the British Embassy no less; a smallish casual gathering with people the Ambassador and his wife would like to see more of - yikes!
I should explain that neither Ian nor I have previously socialised with the Ambassadorial couple. No, the reason for the invitation was Olivia, who is at school with the Ambassador's daughter and has been on a couple of play-dates at the Embassy and has obviously made a bit of an impression.
"What's an Ambassador?" asked Isabelle when I told her and Olivia of our new, improved social standing.
"Well" Olivia began, "K's dad does all the Queen's work in Bahrain when she can't be here. They live in the Queen's house and her dad makes all the Queen's important decisions for her. Oh, and they have cannons at their front door and royal toilets."
"Really? I must check those out!" I said.
"Yes" she continued, "and they are really lucky because they have one dog and two cats and they used to have two hamsters, but the cat ate one. It's OK though, because the hamster belonged to K and not the Queen so they don't have to tell her."
Well, thank goodness for that! We wouldn't have wanted K's dad ending up in the Tower before the weekend!
Royal toilets indeed - would they get a royal flush there?
ReplyDeleteI remember as a child going to a posh house of my father's boss who owned a big house-building company. He had separate loos for guests but I spotted the magnificent gaudy gold bathroom and happily had a pee in there.
That is such a cute story. Children have such a knack for putting things in perspective. It must have been lovely to visit the Embassy!
ReplyDelete