Friday, 24 September 2010

Country pursuits

Despite spending my teenage years in rural England, I never quite succumbed to its charms. I didn't ride, wouldn't shoot and couldn't see the point of traipsing for hours through muddy fields in green wellies and Barbour jacket with a faithful hound at my heels. I never returned from such outings with rosy cheeks and healthy glow, only with frizzy hair and freezing feet.

Once schooling was done, I headed for the Big Smoke - London - and have been a city dweller ever since. Yet once the children were born, I found myself looking forward to trips home to the countryside. Maybe it was nostalgia, maybe simply that it is much easier to take a toddler for a walk across muddy furrows than down a city street.

Whatever the reason, this year not only saw us indulging in long walks and cycle rides, but also spectating at various local events, including the famous Burghley Horse Trials. Burghley House was home to William Cecil, Lord Burghley, Queen Elizabeth I's most trusted advisor. It stands just at the back of my old school in Stamford - we used to do cross country runs through its park - and is quite magnificent.


Each year, Burghley hosts its famous horse trials - three days of dressage, cross country and show jumping (or for those of us not into all things equine, three days of champagne quaffing and great shopping) where riders and horses do things like this:


The good news is that we Brits are actually pretty good at horsey-things and rode seven out of the top 10 placed horses. The other good news is that green wellies and Barbours are most definitely out among the horsey set. It's all leather boots and fake fur gilets now. The stand selling these boots was doing a roaring trade:


But despite Burghley's fame and splendour, it was a smaller event at a little known stately home whose park backs onto my mum's garden, that I enjoyed the most. Owned by one of the richest women in Britain, whose family money hails in part from the Astor family, Grimsthorpe Castle was holding its annual family open day.


Apart from tours of the castle - Charles and Camilla stayed here not so long ago - there was a vintage car rally, a dog show and a truly excellent sheep dog demonstration.



I can't remember the name of the well-spoken farmer who was giving the demo, but he was fantastic. Using 5 dogs simultaneously, each with their own calls for left, right, stop and go (how he knew which dog was which, let alone remembered the designated calls, is beyond me) he herded a flock of geese into a U-shaped pen formed by children from the audience. Without raising his voice above a mere whisper. Yes, he conducted the whole demo with children AND animals and not one yell or expletive. Now, William Fox-Pitt may think the cross country course at Burghley was a challenge, but for truly awe-inspiring performances, the unnamed farmer got my vote.

5 comments:

  1. The sheep dogs are a real treat and such a pleasure to watch; I love going to sheep dog trials - ours tend to be with sheep though!

    And I'm so disappointed about the Barbours being out; I absolutely love Barbour wear.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to both of these fabulous places as we live in Lincolnshire.

    I found it fascinating when I visited Burghley House to realise the character of Lord Lindsay, played by Nigel Havers, in the film Chariots of Fire, was based on Lord Burghley. I could visualise him doing the hurdles with the champagne glasses on each one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ - he did the sheep first but the geese were more novel! And I'm sure Barbours will be back as soon as they realise faux fur isn't good in the rain!

    Trish - a Lincs girl! Hurrah!! Lord Burghley's daughter lives in my sister's village (her daughter now lives at Burghley)and has told her quite a bit about what went on there - fascinating stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos. What a spectacular building. And the geese trials are hilarious. I can just imagine them honking away. Brilliant post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selma - the geese were outstanding and amazingly well behaved. I've always been rather nervous about them ever since I was hissed at by one our neighbour owned.

    ReplyDelete