Tuesday, 11 January 2011

New Year, New You

Every paper and magazine I pick up at the moment is full of those early January articles extolling the virtues of the post-Christmas detox, the latest exercise fads or the most recent innovations in skincare.

I arrived back from the UK with flu, and looking decidedly less healthy and more sallow than when I left Bahrain in December. So I decided that perhaps I should heed the advice in some of those articles and pay more attention to my skin.

Unfortunately, most of the new, high-tech skincare products on offer in the UK have not yet arrived in Bahrain. But my scouring of the shelves of the local pharmacy did reveal a range of alternatives, my favourite of which (located right next to the New Zealand bovine colostrum pills) was this offering from the Philippines:

This herbal beauty soap promises to renew damaged skin tissues and fade away blemishes and contains a healthy dose of placental enzymes to help you on your way. The box doesn't specify where the enzymes are sourced.

A quick bit of internet research revealed that placenta extracts have been a popular health and beauty product in the Far East for centuries and products containing them are now being touted by swish Swiss clinics and top-end skincare lines beloved of Madonna and the like.

My sister has just had a baby. We were discussing her placenta only last week. Somehow I can't bring myself to open the packet.

4 comments:

  1. I'd stick to a dollop of Nivea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I'd keep away from it too with a name like that!
    So, maybe a move for you to Singapore too? Do tell more. Have you visited, looked at homes, schools etc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really couldn't bring myself to use that. It's funny but also slightly gross. Ewwww.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish/Selma: I've thrown it away. The soap was a very lurid orange - didn't look remotely herbal or natural.

    Victoria: Singapore is a possibility although I think we will have problems finding schooling. Waiting lists are horrendous - we're talking YEARS!

    ReplyDelete