We have spent this week watching events unravel here. Protests were arranged for Sunday and Monday, to coincide with official celebrations marking the tenth anniversary of the Bahrain National Charter or constitution. Spurred on by events in Egypt, the protests gained momentum and soon thousands were camping out at the Pearl Roundabout, a well-known Bahrain landmark and one which we pass each day on our way to school. Helicopters have hovered constantly overhead since Sunday.
I was woken about four o'clock this morning by a constant stream of wailing sirens and saw from the TV reports that police had dispersed the protesters at the Pearl Roundabout; the sirens were ambulances taking the injured to the main hospital which is close to our house.
Today helicopters are still hovering, there are police roadblocks throughout the city and apparently tanks are positioned in some key areas. Shopping malls and one of the main supermarkets have closed because of disturbances and people seem to be panic buying at the supermarket I use. We are being advised to stay at home, although a rumoured curfew has not yet been announced.
Tomorrow is Friday, the start of the weekend. A pro-Government rally is planned for after morning prayers at the Grand Mosque. Pearl Roundabout has been cordoned off to prevent anti-Government protesters from gathering there. We can only wait to see if they mobilise elsewhere.
Oh Kate this must be an anxious time. They've mentioned Bahrain on the radio this morning.
ReplyDeleteWill be thinking of you and hope you don't get affected by it.
I saw some articles on the net today and thought of you. I hope you remain safe. It is a very stressful situation. Take care, Kate. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
ReplyDeleteTrish/Selma: thanks for the kind thoughts. Things are quieter now but waking up to the sound of gunfire was really quite unnerving!
ReplyDelete