Bahrain's education authorities have re-closed the primary schools until 18 October. Swine flu strikes again!
The girls' school is preparing weekly packs so that parents can teach their children at home until schools reopen. In other words, we have had home schooling forced upon us.

While many parents have been venting their spleen in the local press, a lone mother wrote in trying to sound a positive note. We must, said she, view this as an extraordinary opportunity to bond with our children. People should be more positive and start seeing this as a situation where the cup is half full rather than half empty. Coffee mornings and gym sessions should be put on hold for a month while we rally round our offspring.
Stirring words! But maybe she's right, I thought. I've never had the remotest desire to home school, but now that I have no choice, why not at least try to do it with a smile on my face?
We started today. After the first hour, I was finding it very difficult to view my cold, only partially-drunk cafe latte as a cup half full. After a further hour of Olivia's arguing, the only bonding I was interested in was of her lips, tightly together, preferably with super glue.
Only another four days to the weekend! And if anyone reading this home schools, my hat goes off to you - I don't know how you do it.
I don't know how people home school, either. I have a feeling if I homeschooled my son we would never get anything done. He would deliberately distract me so that we ended up chatting all day. LOL.
ReplyDeleteI hope you and your family manage to avoid the swine flu. Take care.
Thanks for your thoughts and for becoming a follower - appreciated! I can tell you that the local bottleshop is doing a roaring trade right now with lots of mothers after their little "helper" at the end of the day. Roll on 18th October!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree! I couldn't do it, and I'm frightened to think what my kids would (or wouldn't) learn if I had to!! They no longer are closing schools in NSW due to Swine Flu because they now are saying it's just like any other illness here. Thank god.
ReplyDeleteFlorida Girl - thanks for becoming a follower. I am enjoying your blog. Only another week to go and I can resume normal life with a renewed appreciation for what teachers go through each day!
ReplyDelete