Thursday, 3 September 2009

Safe, innit?

I flew back from a visit to the UK yesterday. I had a minor altercation with the BA check-in guy at Heathrow Terminal 5 over a particularly heavy suitcase (courtesy of the Amazon booksale).

BA now charge a hefty excess baggage charge for any bag over 23kg, even if your total luggage allowance has not been exceeded. Health and safety of the baggage handlers, don't you know. Although I, a slip of a thing at 8 stone, managed successfully to manoeuvre said suitcase in and out of a car boot and onto the scales, it was too heavy for the blokes out the back. Apparently I should have more bags and expect my 7 year old daughter to lug one of them.

Anyway, in the midst of our discussion, one of BA check-in guy's friends came over, I think, to say goodbye and wish him a pleasant day. The conversation went something like this:

Friend: Yo, bro!
BA guy: Yo, bro, howzit travelling?
Friend: (something incomprehensible)...,innit?
BA guy: Safe, man.
Friend: Yeah, safe, bro, safe.
They embraced. Friend left.

They were speaking English, but I have absolutely no idea what their conversation was about. Still, it was obviously good news, as I got off the excess baggage charge.

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest you Fly Etihad in future? - I'm their number one fan. 24Kg coming out of Dublin, they stuck on a heavy label, charged nothing extra, didn't even mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I suppose 29kg was pushing it a bit.....

    ReplyDelete