Monday, 7 September 2009

Swine flu fever


Yesterday the girls and I dutifully showed up for the induction at their new school - an hour of meet-the-teacher and learn the rules before the start of school proper today. And the start of term can't come soon enough. It's way too hot to do much outside and there is only so much of Hannah Montana and Disney Channel a mother can take.

As we entered the school building we were leapt upon by Efficient Mummy volunteers aiming thermometers at our foreheads. Swine flu prevention. Anyone with even an inkling of a temperature was refused further access. Anyone deemed OK had a smiley face stamped on their hand accompanied by a cheery "Welcome to St Christophers!"

The girls got smiley faces. I got a fail sticker slapped on my chest and told to stand in a corner until another reading could be taken. It's been a while since I've been sent to the naughty corner. Luckily my friend Anne was there too, so we could giggle conspiratorially in true schoolgirl fashion until an Efficient Mummy re-took our reading.

We passed second-time round. It seems the drive in a stinking hot car coupled with the walk into school in searing heat had been to blame.

Later in the day we received a message from the school. The start of term has been delayed for a week. The youngest kids are to stay away until October. Swine flu prevention. I'm not sure I understand the logic. Will it all have gone away by next Monday?

One thing's for sure - if school doesn't reopen soon, the wards of the local hospitals will be overflowing with mothers on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment